Skip to Main Content
print small medium large 


UPEI Security Police Officers

To resolve a complaint about a UPEI security police officer:

  • You can speak with the security officer's employer.  The Director of Facilities Management is located at the University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PE, C1A 4P3 and can be contacted at: Telephone: (902) 566-0600 or Fax: (902) 566-0799

  • Another option is to make a written complaint under the Police Act.  To do so, send your complaint to the Manager, Office of the Police Commissioner.  You must write out your complaint, sign it and ensure the complaint is received by the Manager, Office of the Police Commissioner, within six months of the incident.  The Manager will review your complaint and attempt to resolve it.

  • Please note, a complaint under the Police Act must relate to conduct which occurred after the Act was proclaimed on March 13th, 2010.

Who can make a complaint against a UPEI security police officer?

  • Anyone who is eighteen years of age and over and has been directly affected by the conduct of a UPEI security police officer can make a complaint. 

  • A parent or guardian may file a complaint on behalf of a person who is under the age of 18. 

  • Where the person directly affected by the conduct of the UPEI security police officer is mentally incompetent, a parent or guardian may make a complaint on the person's behalf.

What type of behaviour can be the basis of a complaint filed under the Police Act?

For additional information, please read the brochure for filing a complaint against UPEI Security Police Officers.

You can also consult a copy of the French language version of the brochure.

back to top